Monday, August 27, 2018

Social Media~ Just how social is it?

Today I'd like to discuss social media.  Now you may already be wondering, how much can a pup like me actually know about a subject such as this?  Although I'm not much of a talker, I am a keen observer of humans, other animals, the weather, flowers and the interaction between all of these subjects.  Here's how social media has effected me~

During our morning jaunts, Mom and I always greet our fellow walkers.  We make eye contact, smile and wish them a good day.  Quite often not only do these folks say hi but they even stop to pet me, spend a few minutes chatting, making a short connection and then are on their way with hopes of running into each other again some day.  One family even refers to me as The Happiest Dog in the World.  However... there is a certain species of humans that never return our greetings, never stop to say hi and don't even acknowledge our existance.  These folks seem to have one thing in common, they are talking on their phones or have earbuds in, listening to something or someone other than us.  My own mom is even guilty at times.  Sometimes I have to sneak up behind her ipad and take my little paw and slap that thing right down in order to remind her I'm here and need some attention.  If she's on her laptop, I've found the quickest way to get her to put it away is to "help' her type. See... I'm no dummy.
+


I have noticed families having dinner with one another but without any mealtime conversations, no "how was your day" or "what did you learn today" just each member busy talking, texting or playing games on their cell phones.  How can whoever is on the other end of that line be more important than the folks right in front of them?  I don't get that.  Mom tells me about past times when everyone talked to strangers while waiting in lines, or at the doctors office or wherever they might be.  She said that's how you made new friends.  That sounds wonderful to me!



I'd like to start a national, no, make that worldwide rule that everyone try unplugging, look their family, friends or strangers right smack dab in the eye and start a real exchange of words and ideas.  Just think, we might not only learn something but we will certainly make those folks feel much more important and might even add a new friend or two to our lives.  So, make a little black puppy giddy with excitement over all of the possibilities and just give it a try.  It doesn't cost a thing and just might turn out to be extremely valuable.

Loves & Licks,
Stella


No comments: