Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Dog Paddling

I've discovered the joy in spending a hot summer day on (or in) the water, and I like it ~ a lot!


Look close, I'm in the backseat 


 Yesterday I got to go to Horseshoe Lake with my mom & her friend, my Auntie M.  First I got loaded into my car seat and caught a glimpse of the pretty green boat in the back of the truck. I couldn't begin to imagine what we could possibly be planning to do with that. 

We drove awhile and then we landed, at a lake full of calm water where the sun was already sending sparkles across the ripples.  I wasn't exactly thrilled with having my safety vest put on but Mom said it was non-negotiable so I just gritted my teeth while she tightened all the straps, knowing fully well that even though it had lovely blue & white polka dots all over it, it made me look fat.

Can you see the similarities?
My Titanic movie moment




Mom plopped herself into the boat and I found my sweet spot and then off we went!  Up and down the lake we glided, with the sun and the breeze upon our faces, carrying the most wonderful of smells along with it.  A couple of times Mom put me in the water so that I could swim next to the boat but it was all on purpose, no accidental tip-overs for us.  It was so interesting to see things just float past us, houses, kids, toys and occasional sticks.  I was taking it all in, I didn't want to miss a thing!  Sometimes we'd hear a swimmer holler a hello aimed at us and lots of folks seemed to think that it was cool that our kayak had a dog riding in it.  I thought it all seemed just about perfect.  I'd never been swimming before and certainly never been in a boat but I had easily earned my kayak certificate by the time we headed home.  It was a scorcher of a day so we rested on the shore for a bit, ate some yummies and drank tons of cool, clear water and then... we got to do it all over again!!!!  The second time out I relaxed a bit more and really embraced my new adventure addiction.  I was so thrilled that Auntie M was willing to share her yak with us but even more thrilled to hear that we were just days away from getting our very own!!!  I love Amazon almost as much as my mom does.  I was tuckered out from all the firsts I experienced yesterday but I slept so contently, my dreams filled with memories of my first day on the water and I can hardly wait to hit the "repeat" button and do it all over again.
Loves & Licks,
Stella

3 comments:

Jan said...

Oh Stella....this looks like so much fun!! We want to do it too!! Our mom said "one of these day's when she musters up the nerve",we're going to try!! Hope to see you out on lake!! Love,Mattie & Murphy!

Unknown said...

Glad you and Stella had fun. Jill has a camo life jacket and loves the water too!

Unknown said...

Glad you and Stella had fun. Jill has a camo life jacket and loves the water too!