Saturday, June 23, 2018

Treat Time

Mmmmmmmm, our house smells so good!  The fragrance of cinnamon has filled the air and I’m already dreaming of it filling my tummy.  Mom is making me treats today. Tomorrow she’ll be stirring up my raw meat concoction too. Yes, some call me spoiled but I prefer to think of it more like being very, very lucky and extremely well loved. 



Sweet potatoes & cinnamon chews are simply delicious and as you can see, absolutely no preservatives, chemicals, or ingredients you can’t pronounce. Just simply sweet-potatoes and cinnamon.  Mom just slices up sweet-potatoes, some in circles, others in strips.  She uses a big cookie sheet or two and swears by using those silicone mats inside the cookie sheet to keep cleanup to an absolute minimum. I like that because time spent cleaning up is time we could have spent playing!



Once she gets those in the oven (250 degrees) and the timer set for eight hours, she’s on to the next batch of deliciousness, Peanut-butter Paws. Again, just three simple ingredients, peanut-butter, coconut oil and a bit more cinnamon BUT there is a Pup Alert that you need to be... well, alerted to. Artificial sweeteners are bad news for canines (and humans too)  so please be very, very careful that you don’t accidentally buy sugar free peanut-butter. My Mom likes to use all natural p-butter and I agree, it’s yummers. BTW she also smears some of it on the inside edge of the bathtub when I get spa-day.  I’m so busy licking up all that deliciousness, I don’t even remember getting soaped up and then rinsed. Cool huh?  I see I’ve gone down a rabbit hole so will attempt to get back to the subject at hand... TREATS!

First of all, you need to find a paw print silicone mold, or a mold of something you like the look and size of. Good old Amazon carries a fun selection.





 A tall plastic squeeze dispenser helps to keep things tidy when filling the molds and is available on Amazon also. 



The recipe is a simple one-to-one ratio of the coconut oil & the p-butter. Mom usually mixes 1/2 c pbutter to 1/2 c coconut oil in a small sauce pan on low heat until it’s all melted smooth and silky and then adds a couple shakes of cinnamon. Using a funnel she fills up the squeeze bottle and then uses that to fill the molds. She slides them into the freezer for about 20 min to set & then she pops them all out and refills the molds again. Be sure to keep the treats in the fridge or freezer because they melt easily if left out.


Lastly is the recipe Mom uses for my breakfast. She adores Dr Karen Becker, a world renowned veterinarian that is amazing.  This is Steve Browns recipe and Dr. Becker says it’s nutritionally balanced and I can say it tastes fantabulous. Mom makes a big batch, pats them out like hamburger patties and then freezes them for me.

So see, its not hard at all to make your very own, healthy pup treats & believe me, no matter how much your pooch loves you now, they'll love you even more when they taste your creations.

Love & Licks,
Stella


No comments: